Sweet Potato Gratin
- 1kg sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced thinly – the thickness of a 10p
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 250ml double cream
- 150g crunchy peanut butter
- Zest and juice of one lime
- salt and black pepper
Heat the oven to 170C (fan) and lightly oil a gratin dish.
- In a bowl, toss the sweet potato slices with a tablespoon of oil, the chilli, garlic, cream and some salt and pepper.
- Arrange half the sweet potato slices in the gratin dish
- Beat the peanut butter with the remaining oil, the lime zest and juice. Spread this mixture in dollops over the sweet potato in the dish
- Add the remaining sweet potato and spread out. Pour over any remaining cream.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes, then remove the foil. Bake for a further 30 minutes, until the sweet potato is completely soft and the top is browned.
This is best enjoyed straight from the oven. We love a freshly dressed green salad on the side. A slightly spicy ginger and chilli dressing works well. Other nut butters work well in this too. For some added zing stir 2 teaspoons of minced ginger into the peanut mixture. You can make this dish vegan by using coconut milk in place of the cream.