Sweet potato and black bean hash
I came up with the idea for sweet potato and black bean hash thanks to the current UK vegetable shortage. Normally I make a sweetcorn and courgette salad to go with fajitas, but thanks to a lack of courgettes I needed something different. So the sweet potato and black bean hash was born.
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 red onion – finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 medium sweet potato – bite sized dice
- large handful of frozen sweetcorn
- 1/2 a tin of black beans
- 2 tbsp of smoky chipotle chilli sauce
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- big handful of fresh coriander – roughly chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Feta cheese
- Heat the oil on a medium heat, when it is hot put the sweet potato and onion in.
- Cook these for about 10 minutes, then add the garlic.
- After another 3 minutes add the corn.
- When the sweet potato has a good golden colour and is cooked through add the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly. Cook for another 2 minutes crumble over a little feta cheese and serve.
Sweet potato and black bean hash – serving suggestions
This is a perfect filling for corn tortillas or wholewheat wraps, just add some salad and guacamole. It also makes a good brunch, just top it with a fried egg. I think it would make a good shepherdess pie filling just add a few more beans and dice the potato a little smaller. Top it with a carrot and potato rosti crust. It can also be used as a pasty filing. Mash it down slightly and use a shortcrust pastry infused with smoked paprika.
It is easily adapted, try different beans or swap the corn for courgette or diced red peppers.
If you try this please let me know, we think it is delicious and I hope you do too.